USS Von Steuben Obituary List


Commander Stephen George Hyman Obituary

 CDR Stephen George Hyman met his Lord face to face after a tragic car accident in Texas on February 8, 2020. CDR Hyman was born in Rochester, New York and graduated from Wayne Central High School, Walworth, New York in 1967. He entered the Navy in 1968. Upon graduation from Polaris Electronics “A” School, he was assigned to the USS JAMES K. POLK (SSBN 645)(Gold). After graduation from Electronics Technician “B” School, he was assigned to USS HOLLAND (AS-32) in Holy Loch, Scotland.  From there he was assigned to the Initial Instructor Cadre at Trident Training Facility, Bangor, Washington.

 In 1979, Commander Hyman received a Limited Duty Officer Commission and was assigned to USS HUNLEY (AS-31) as Legal Officer.  In 1980, he reported to USS PROTEUS (AS-19) as Electronics Repair Officer. After completing several schools including Nuclear Weapons Officer School in Dam Neck, Virginia, he was assigned to USS VON STEUBEN (SSBN 632)(GOLD) IN 1983.  He then was transferred to Commander, Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet as Combat Systems Officer for Material. During this tour, he earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration from Hawaii Pacific University.

 In 1988, Commander Hyman was transferred to Naval Military Personnel Command in Washington, DC to become the Submarine LDO Assignment Officer. In 1990, he became Executive Officer of USS SUNBIRD (ASR-15) and then in 1991, Commanding Officer of the floating drydock ARCO (ARDM-15). In 1993, Commander Hyman was transferred to the staff of Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center as Enlisted Training Officer.  In 1995, he was assigned to Trident Training Facility, Bangor in Silverdale, Washington as the Curriculum and Instructional Standard Officer (CISO). In 1998 he was assigned as Officer in Charge of AUTEC, Andros Island, Bahamas. In 2001, CDR Hyman was then assigned as Director, CINCPACFLT Detachment Pacific Northwest Regional Maintenance Coordinator Office in Bremerton, Washington until his retirement in 2003.

After retirement, CDR Hyman promptly earned his Merchant Mariner Credential, became an instructor for the American Sailing Association, was a very active member of the USCG Auxiliary, drove the passenger-only Kingston to Seattle Fast Ferry for a time, and volunteered at Brazos Bend State Park, Needville, Texas in the winter from 2016 until the day he died. He also volunteered at the Rosenberg Railroad Museum in Rosenberg, Texas and in the blacksmith shop at the Historical George Ranch in Richmond, Texas. While at home in Kingston, he was active in Kingston Christian Church, Kingston Cove Yacht Club, and the Citizens On Patrol (COPS) program with the Kitsap County Sheriff’s office. Steve was an avid fisherman and loved fishing for trout around Washington and Texas and salmon, cod and halibut when in Alaska.

 CDR Hyman’s true love was for His Lord, his family and his friends.  He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Lynn Urschel Hyman, formerly of Baldwinsville, New York. His sons CDR Steven Hyman, USNR (Amanda) and Joel (Courtney) and grandchildren Andrew, Luke, Sheridan and Taralee. He is also survived by his brothers David (Sue) of Rochester, New York, Richard (Patti) and LT Thomas, USN, Retired (Donna) of Fairport, New York and Robert (Margaret) of Williamson, New York, as well as scores of cousins, nephews and nieces. His parents, George Jr and Marjorie Hyman predeceased him, as well as brothers Ronald and Gary.

 His was a life well-lived and his signature saying was “Anchored in Him.”

Cold War Submariner Stephen G Hyman of Kingston, WA departed on his final and eternal Patrol on 2/8/2020 in Texas due to an auto accident.
Stephen qualified 'Silver' aboard James K Polk in 1971, and 'Gold' aboard Von Steuben in 1983. He served from 1968 to 2003 and retired a Commander.
He was a Life member of USSVI Bremerton Base, and one year shy of Holland Club membership.
Sailor, Rest your oar.
Navy Assignments:
USS JAMES K POLK (SSBN-645)                                   1970-1973 ET2(SS) NAVET
USS HOLLAND (AS-32) Holy Loch                               1974-1974 Shore Patrol Holy Loch
Trident Training Facility Bangor                                 1977-1979 Instructor
USS HUNLEY (AS-31) Guam                                        1979-1980 Legal Officer
USS PROTEUS (AS-19) Guam                                      1980-1981 Electronic Repair R-4
Navy Diving and Salvage Training Center                   1982-1983 Diver Training
            Panama City
USS VON STEUBEN (SSBN-632) Charleston                1983-1985 Assistant Weapons Officer
ComSubPac Staff Honolulu, HI                                   1985-1988 Electronics Material Officer
Military Personal Command Arlington, VA                1988-1990 Assignment Officer
USS SUNBIRD (ASR-15) Groton                                   1990-1991 Executive Officer
ARCO (ARDM-5)                                                          1991-1993 Commanding Officer
Fleet ASW Training Center San Diego                        1993-1995 Director Enlisted Training
Atlantic Undersea Training and Evaluation                1998-2000 Officer in Charge
            Center (AUTEC) Bahamas
Pacific Northwest Regional Maintenance                  2000-2002 Maintenance Coordinator
            Center, Bremerton    


Earle C. Thurlow III

Cold War Submarine Veteran, Earle Charles Thurlow, III, 78, a cherished
father and beloved husband of Carolyn West Thurlow, went home to be with
his Lord on Sunday, January 9, 2022.
Mr. Thurlow was born the son of Earle Charles Thurlow, Jr. and Hazel
Sager Thurlow on July 28, 1943 in Qunicy, Massachusett. He was a
graduate of Cocoa Beach High School, Cocoa Beach, FL. He was a submarine
engine mechanic in the United States Navy for the USS Von Steuben, USS
Darter, and USS Chivo. He was a retired mechanic of the Rolling Mill
Maintenance Department of Georgetown Steel Mill. He attended the Earles
Pentecostal Holiness Church. He was an outdoorsman who loved fishing,
hunting, camping and loved trips to the mountains. He was a skilled
mechanic and could fix most anything. He started his mechanic training
and career in the engine room of the Navy submarines. He worked at the
VW dealerships and the “Beetle Shop” in Mt. Pleasant for many years. He
built and drove a “Beetle Racecar #13” in dirt track racing and
converted a Beetle Volkswagen into a truck. He was a man who lived by
standards of integrity and honortaught and believed in proper work
ethicsand gave sacrificially as a husband, father, grandfather, brother
and friend. He was never heard speaking a harsh or evil word against
another person and never complained by enjoyed every day God gave him
with family and friends. He leaves a legacy of a devoted husband, loving
father, cherished grandfather and great-grandfather, caring brother and
brother-in-law, and loyal friend.
Earle and Carolyn were married June 29, 1968 and celebrated 53 years
together. Their home was blessed with: 3 sons , Earl Charles Thurlow IV,
(Paula), Daryl Kevin Thurlow (Wendy), and Scott Phillip Thurlow (Megan);
8 grandchildren, Ashley T. Lackey (Stuart), Cody Thurlow (Hunter), Tony
Thurlow, Abby Thurlow, Hunter Thurlow, Amber Thurlow, Brandon Thurlow,
and Logan Thurlow; and 1 great-grandson, Tripp Lackey.
He is also survived by: a sister, Judy Bailey (Walt); and his extended
West family.
He was predeceased by: his parents.

Born on July 28, 1943 - Entered into Eternal Patrol on January 9, 2022.

Robert A. LaGassa

Cold War Submarine Veteran, Captain Robert E. LaGassa, USN (Ret.) of New London, NH passed away peacefully at home in the company of his wife, Barbara Zoe, on Wednesday, December 29, 2021.

Born 10 April, 1940 in Detroit, “Bob” was the eldest child of Robert M. and Dorothea A. LaGassa. He graduated from Cass Technical High School, where he studied architecture & construction. He entered the Naval Academy with the Class of 1963 through a congressional nomination. There, he pursued a Naval Officer's commission and Barbara Zoe Kunar, whom he met on a Washington, DC elevator during Plebe Year spring break. They were married in San Diego in August 1963.

Bob attended Nuclear Power & Submarine Schools before assignment to the Skipjack (SSN-585). He served on four additional submarines: Engineer of Ethan Allen (SSBN-608), Navigator of Trepang (SSN-673), Executive Officer of Shark (SSN-591) and Commanding Officer of USS Von Steuben (SSBN-632). Shore duty included: Submarine School instructor, Strategic Submarine R&D Coordinator and Deputy Director, Nuclear Warfare Policy for the Chief of Naval Operations. He retired in 1991 as Assistant for Navy Nuclear Weapons, Secretary of Defense staff. He achieved highest distinction at the Naval War College, earned a Master of International Relations degree from Salve Regina College and was a CNO fellow to MIT’s Seminar 21. He received the Defense

Superior Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Meritorious Service Medal, among other awards.

Bob and Zoe retired to New Hampshire, where they had established roots during their career. He enjoyed singing, gardening, rural life and was involved in local governance. He was a Cantor for his church and webmaster for his USNA company. Bob & Zoe enjoyed road trips about our great country and voyaging the world on CUNARD's Queens.

He is survived by Zoe, the love of his life; a daughter, Laura LaGassa of Hawaii; a son, David LaGassa, his spouse Debra, and three grandsons: Andrew, Matthew and Samuel of Palm Coast, FL; and sisters Diane Walker of Virginia, and Peggy Cook of Michigan.


Thomas Jefferson Branch, Jr.

Cold War Submarine Veteran, June 12, 1967 - November 25, 2021, Thomas “Jeff” Jefferson Branch Jr. was born, June 12, 1967, in Madison County, Florida, and grew up in Wakulla County, until he joined the Navy in November, 1985. Aside from his family, Jeff’s devotion was to the military. He was a veteran of the United States Navy, where he served 30 years and 27 days as a Nuclear Electrician, achieving the rank of Master Chief. His experience as a submariner played an important role is his life, allowing him to help sculpt and mold other, younger sailors, to lead successful careers.

Jeff was a devoted husband and father. He enjoyed golfing, boating, hunting, camping, and helping out family, friends and neighbors in any way he could. There are friends, and there is family, and there are friends that become familyand because Jeff was loving, dedicated, brave, and humble, his family was extensive, and he will be missed by many.

Mr. Branch is survived by his wife, Amy, of 35 years, and two children: Son, Ryan, Daughter-in-law, Tina, and Daughter, Alison. He also had two loving grandchildren: Logan and Bentley.

Norman Emil Kuzel

Cold War Submarine Veteran, Norman Emil Kuzel, 87, of Lebanon, beloved husband of Ella Mae (Clinch) Kuzel, died December 24, 2021, at Windham Hospital. Born October 25, 1934, in Milford Nebraskahe was the only child of the late Emil and Erma Kuzel. In 1952 Norman enlisted in the United States Navy proudly serving his country for 25 years. During which time he was detailed on the USS George Washington (SSBN-598), the USS Von Steuben (SSBN-632), and the USS Archerfish (SSN-678).

Norm qualified in submarines on the USS George Washington (SSBN-598) in 1961 and was a LT when he left the Navy.

Shortly after his retirement from the Navy he moved the family to Lebanon to start the Louka Zelena dairy farmduring which time he served as president of the CT Jersey Cattle Club. Throughout his life, Norman belonged to numerous organizations; he was a member of the American Legion Post 180, US Submarine Veterans Inc. Groton CT, a communicant of St. Francis of Assisi Church in Lebanon; volunteering as a lector, Eucharistic minister, and sexton.

Norman’s love of country and respect for veterans was exemplified by his countless hours of volunteering as WWII Thames chapter chaplain, numerous honors details, and as a docent at the United States Submarine Force Library and Museum which featured the USS Nautilus. His involvement with Kap (ss) for Kid (ss) allowed him to bring joy to terminally ill children. Norman was inducted into the Holland Club in 2011 marking 50 years as a qualified submariner. His greatest pleasure was to be surrounded by family as often as possible. Norman is survived by his wife of 63 years Ella Mae (Clinch) Kuzel of Lebanon CT. his children and their spouses Norman “Skip” Kuzel II of Port Gibson Mississippi, Shawn and Randy Smith of Norfolk Virginia, Sherrilyn and Kieran Flannery of Lebanon CT., Shayla and Glen Coutu of Lebanon CT., Shirleen and Mike Garrahy of Rocky Hill CT., Shane and Alice Kuzel of Pomfret CT. beloved family friend Mary Horan of Lebanon CT, 18 grandchildren , 9 great grandchildren and his ever loyal dog Penny. In addition to his parents, he is predeceased by his daughter Shannon Michele Kuzel; grandchildren Nicholas Emil Kuzel and Abbey Marie Coutu.

Born on October 25, 1934 - Entered into Eternal Patrol on December 24, 2021.

Playing golf.

Gary G. Shepherd

Cold War Submarine Veteran, Gary G. Shepherd, age 77, a 21-year resident of Laughlin, Nevada lost his battle with cancer on Saturday, October 30, 2021. He was born on November 14, 1943 in Shelby, Montana.

Gary was in the U.S. Navy from 1962 to1966 serving as a fire controller on 1st nuclear submarine, USS Von Steuben and earned his Dolphins. He owned several gas stations in Hobbs, New Mexico in the early 70's, then worked for Climax Chemical, and retired in 2003 after 25 years, owning Shepherds Rental in New Mexico.

Gary was a member of the Moose Lodge. He loved to spend time with family and friends and an avid collector of casino chips and memorabilia and coins. He enjoyed his Jack Daniels, watching football, playing poker, and visiting with friends while sitting and watching the river. Gary always had a story to tell of an adventure of the past. He spent several years working his booth at the local antique store. He enjoyed hosting get-togethers with family and friends.

He was preceded in death by his father, Garmon Shepherd in 1995mother, Helen Shepherd in 2013wife, Nicky Shepherd in 1992; and wife, Ida Turner in 2016.

Gary is survived by his daughter, Theresa Shepherd of Laughlin, Nevada; step-daughter, Dixie (Sheldon) Lowery of Tomball, Texas; step-sons, Kenny (Martha) Swinney and Wylie (Ruthie) Swinney both of Hobbs, New Mexico; and several step-granchildren and great-grandchidren.

Born on November 14, 1943 - Entered into Eternal Patrol on October 30, 2021.

Robert Lee Orndorf

Cold War Submariner Robert Lee Orndorf, 75 of Howard, passed away on Sunday, October 24, 2021 at his summer home in Manilla, Philippines. He was born in Lock Haven on March 26, 1946 a son of the late Edwin and Mary E. Young Orndorf.

Bob proudly served his country for 25 years in the United States Navy throughout the world.

Bob qualified in submarines on the USS Von Steuben (SSBN-632) in 1973 and was a STSCS(SS) when he left the Navy.

He rose to the rank of Sr. Chief Sonar Technician and would spend a great deal of his time on submarines patrolling waters all over the world. Following retirement he worked as a postal carrier for the U.S. Postal service and then as the Veterans Affairs officer at Career Link of Lock Haven where he took great pride in being able to help his fellow veterans.

Bob enjoyed hunting, transporting his Amish friends and neighbors, and vacationing at his home in the Philippines.

He is survived by many nieces, nephews and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents and four brothers, Edward, Harold Sr., Dale Sr., and Dean Orndorf Sr., and a sister, Lela Sweely.

Born on March 26, 1946 - Entered into Eternal Patrol on October 24, 2021.


Clarence Frank WreathCWO4

Went on Eternal Patrol on: 8/2/2021
Ships / boats served on: SS-424, SSBN-610, SSBN-632, ASR-14, AS-18




Donald A. Meacham

July 14, 1943 - August 31, 2021

U.S. VeteranMaster Chief Donald Alfred Meacham, US Navy, Ret., of Cross, SC, died Tuesday morning at his residence.

His funeral will be 2:00 PM Wednesday afternoon, September 8, 2021, at the graveside in the Beaufort National Cemetery. Interment will follow with military honors. The family will receive friends at Dial-Murray Funeral Home, Moncks Corner, from 4:00 PM until 5:00 PM Tuesday afternoon.

MCPO Meacham was born July 17, 1943, in South Weymouth, MA, a son of Marshall C. Meacham and Olive Carter Meacham Reinhalter. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War, and was a member of Pointe North Church. He loved to read his Bible, and spend time with his family, especially his granddaughter. MCPO Meacham also enjoyed farming, art, music, and photography. But most importantly, his primary concern was caring for his wife.

Surviving are his wife, Julie Ann Mondor Meacham; a daughter, Barbara Meacham Monroe and her husband, Mark D. Eutsler, of Charleston; a granddaughter, Samantha Katelyn Monroe, and her father, Donald W. Monroe, of Charleston; and two cousins, Billy and Jimmy Meacham.


James A. Heubner

James Edward Kennedy

April 5, 1943 ~ June 19, 2021 (age 78)

James Eduard Kennedy.png


It is with great sorrow, relief and joy that Jim passed away Saturday, June 19th at his home leaving a legacy greater than life.  He was a man of great integrity and responsibility.  He took on a bride in 1968 along with her 3 small children and thru the years added another 3 babies to make a family of six.   His life was about work and family. He lifted others so they could find their dreams above his own.  He was always talking and teaching new things to everyone he found.  He attended Sacred Heart Schools and graduated from Breckenridge High in 1962.  He worked at General Motors in Saginaw Michigan and Arlington Texas for 33 years.  In his retirement he volunteered at the Frontiers of Flight Museum, in Dallas.  He had a love of flying and joined the navy only to see the depths of the ocean on a submarine for 8 years. He proudly served on the USS Medregal, USS Von Steuben, & USS Gato.  His generosity and laugh were larger than life.  He touched so many with his jokes, unfailing selflessness and love.   To know him was to love him.  Rest easy, you left this world better than you found it! 

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Jean, his six children, Connie North, Marty (Terry) North, Sherri (Craig) Jacobs, Hugh (Shannon) Kennedy, Tonia (Gary) Kilcoin, and Tasha (Juan) Alcarez .  He was a grandpa, legend and hero to 12 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, leaving them with lasting memories and life lessons.  He is survived by 6 sisters, Fran Kuelske, Irene Kennedy Karen Kennedy, Elaine Kennedy, Jenny (Richard) Moore & Marilyn Lair and 3 brothers, Pat (Darlene) Kennedy, Don (Angie) Kennedy & Joe (Lisa) Kennedy.  A sister-n-law Jean Kennedy and many nieces, nephews and friends.

He was predeceased by his parents Everett & Sarah (Ryan) Kennedy, Hugh & Jennie (Peeples) Stanley. Four brothers Raymond Kennedy, Leo Kennedy, John Kuelske and David Lair

The family would like to thank Dr. Ankit Kansagra and his medical team at UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas for their care compassion and friendship.


Top of Form

ADM Carlisle A. H. Trost

Carl was born on April 24, 1930, in Valmeyer, Ill., to Elmer H. and Luella (Hoffmann) Trost. As a child growing up in rural Illinois, Carl didn’t exactly dream about a life at sea. He spent summers helping out on his grandparents’ farm and once built a house with his parents. Though he enjoyed farming, Carl’s true passion was school. He worked several jobs to pay his high school tuition and attended Washington University in St. Louis on a one-year Army ROTC scholarship. At the end of that year, and uncertain the scholarship would renew, Carl applied for an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., and entered the Academy in July 1949 as a member of the USNA Class of 1953.

Entering the Naval Academy changed the trajectory of Carl’s life more profoundly than he could have imagined. He excelled academically and graduated first in his class, but, perhaps more importantly, he met the love of his life. While serving as Brigade Commander, Carl fell in love with Pauline Louise Haley of Cottage City, Md. They married in May 1954. Together, Carl and Pauline embraced the many challenges of military and family life, raising four children and building lifelong friendships as they traveled around the world for Carl’s flourishing naval career. Of course, Carl never lost his love of learning: he continued his studies in Germany at the University of Freiburg in the first class of Olmsted Scholars and once again graduated first in his class at both the Naval Submarine School and the Advanced Naval Nuclear Power Course.

In his 37 years of commissioned service, Carl served as Commanding Officer of the submarine USS Sam Rayburn (SSBN 635 Blue), Commander Submarine Group Five, Deputy Commander of the United States Pacific Fleet, Commander of the Seventh Fleet, and Commander-in-Chief of the United States Atlantic Fleet/Deputy Commander of the United States Atlantic Command. In 1986 he was nominated by President Ronald Reagan to serve as the 23rd Chief of Naval Operations, a position he held from 1986 until his retirement from the Navy in 1990. To date, he is the only Chief of Naval Operations who also graduated first in his class from the Naval Academy.

Carl remained involved in the Navy community following his retirement in 1990. In 2002, Carl was named as a Distinguished Graduate of the United States Naval Academy. He served as Chairman of the USNA Alumni Association and was an active member of the USNA Foundation, Naval Institute, USN Submarine League, Military Order of the Carabao and several others. Outside of the Navy, Carl was Chairman of the Olmsted Foundation, a member of the National Eagle Scout Association, and on the boards of Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, LL&E and GPU, among others.

In the early 1990s, Carl helped Pauline bring to life her vision of helping the families of injured and ill service members. The Fisher House Foundation was established after a conversation with their friends Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher, and over the past thirty years, it has provided more than 400,000 families with a “home away from home” near medical centers while their loved ones heal.

Carl often said that he wished to be remembered as a good naval officer and, more importantly, as a loving husband, father and friend. He was devoted to his family and was happiest spending time with his children and grandchildren at his Sandbridge, Va., beach house (when he wasn’t using the house to party with the class of ‘53!). Carl impressed his family with his dedication to the daily crossword and his perfect memory, often recalling meetings with foreign dignitaries down to the exact names, dates, and even times. When asked about his successes, Carl said, “I realized when I was young that I could remember things I was interested in, and fortunately I was interested in a lot of things.”

Carl is preceded in death by his beloved wife, Pauline, and his sister, Mardelle Lou. He is survived by his four children, Carl Michael, Laura Lee Carrico (John), Steve (Gail) and Kathleen, along with six grandchildren, Scott Carrico, Megan Sugrue (Alexander), William Trost (Michelle), Justin Carrico (Arielle), Haley Trost, and Alexa Trost.



Clayton "Clay" Reed

Clay Reed

This was received from his son via USS Von Steuben SSBN 632 Alumni Facebook Page.

Clayton (Clay) Reed was a Nuke (PO2) assigned to the Von S Gold 1975-77. He was on 2 patrols, one in 76 and the other sometime in 77, before he was transferred to the Hunley before being discharged Nov. 1977. He beat Stage 4 colon cancer almost 20 years ago, but succumbed to metastatic lung cancer this past Thursday, 13 Aug. He was proud of his service and we heard many stories of Navy and sub life over the years.

Clay Reed, 68, of Russellville, was escorted to Heaven by God’s ministering angels on Thursday, August 13, 2020. He is the loving husband of Candy Reed and the son of Stanley and Dixie (Archer) Reed.

Clay was born on March 11, 1952, in Waco, TX. He loved growing up in Texas and had many friends in Waco. At an early age, Clay developed his faith with the help of his maternal grandparents and his mother. Clay would continue to develop his faith and study God’s word throughout his life. Clay developed his work ethic by watching his father work hard to provide for his family, which Clay did, just as his father taught him. Clay was a loving sibling to his brother Bruce and his sister Darlene.

In 1971, Clay proudly enlisted in the United States Navy. He served in the nuclear navy aboard the ballistic missile submarine USS Von Steuben. He also served aboard the fleet oiler USS Nantahala and sub-tender USS Hunley. During training, he was stationed in upstate New York where he met the love of his life, Candy Boggs, at church. In 1975, Clay and Candy married and began their life together, and in 1976 they welcomed a son, Trey. Throughout the demands of Navy duty, Clay remained committed to his God and family.

After 6 years of defending our great nation, Clay decided to head in a different direction and enroll at the Northeast School of Biblical Studies in Clifton Park, NY, where he learned to preach the Word of God. While in school, Clay and Candy welcomed their second son, Barry, in 1978. After completing his studies in 1980, he received an offer to work at Arkansas Nuclear One in Russellville, where he worked for 30-plus years. Clay continued his ministry of preaching and teaching the Word of God for the rest of his life.

During his 40 years in Russellville, Clay was a longtime member of the West Side church of Christ, serving as a Sunday school teacher and preacher when needed. He also had the honor to serve the Lord’s church as a Deacon and later as a Shepherd. Clay lived his life with one thing in mind, living a life for Christ. He lived by example and had a quiet demeanor that showed many what a love for God looked like. Clay was not one to talk just to talk; when Clay talked, people listened. Clay poured his heart into loving Candy, showing his boys how a Christian man is supposed to treat his wife, and how to live for God. Simply put, Clay’s family was his pride and joy.

In the early 2000’s, Clay and Candy became grandparents and Clay assumed the title of Papaw, just as his father, Stanley, did with his grandchildren. Clay loved being a grandpa and he would talk, play and enjoy being in the presence of his 5 grandchildren.



Franklin Tarpley Jr. 

 Frank Tarpley

Departed this life May 21, 2020.  Franklin Tarpley Jr., age 60, of Richmond, formerly of New York.  He retired from the U.  S.  Navy.  He is survived by his father and mother, Franklin D.  Tarpley Sr and Carolyn Tarpley;  three sisters, Teresa L.  Olson(Don), Debra A.  Tarpley(Charles) and Linda Williams(Ron);  a host of aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins;  and other relatives and friends.  Services rendered by Joseph Jenkins Jr.  Funeral Home, 2011 Grayland Avenue.  Memorial services at a later date.


Phillip M. Odom

Phil Odom

HARTSVILLE, S.C. — Phil Odom expected that he wouldn’t survive his stay in the hospital and he didn’t. But he wanted his death to mean something and it did.

He wanted his experience with the coronavirus to help doctors understand the disease and how to treat it.

Phillip M. Odom grew up in Hartsville, graduated from Hartsville High School in 1959 and joined the Navy. He served his country for more than 20 years in submarine and surface fleets around the world.

He retired as a lieutenant in the spring of 1980 and returned to his hometown, where he worked as an engineer for Carolina Power and Light and Progress Energy. He retired from the H.B. Robinson plant near Hartsville in 2003.

For many years, he owned and operated The Plant House in Hartsville, where he was well-known for his annual Christmas tree lot.

On Saturday, April 25, Phil Odom died of the coronavirus.

Phil and Sara Odom were married for nearly 58 years and have four children and 15 grandchildren.

Sara said they enjoyed each other’s company and were each other’s best friend.

Sara chronicled much of Phil’s journey with the coronavirus on Facebook for her friends and prayer warriors. Parts of that narrative are included here.

About three or four weeks ago, the couple went for a walk in the park, social distancing and doing all that was recommended, when, Sara said, Phil turned to her and said he couldn’t continue the walk, that they needed to turn around and go back home. He was out of breath. Thinking it was due to a pre-existing condition, Phil put off going to his doctor for about a week. Once Sara persuaded him to go, he was tested for COVID-19, and the test came back positive.

Sara Odom said her husband was in good physical condition when this virus attacked him.

“He went from being able to breathe to several days later gasping for breath,” she said. “My husband had a cough, ran a low-grade fever (99) and other risk factors included age (79) heart (quadrupled bypass), and pulmonary fibrosis.”

Phil was admitted to the Baptist Hospital in Columbia on Monday, April 13, with a severe case of COVID-19. His health quickly declined and by Friday of that week he was put on life support. His systems were shutting down. Even on life support, he coded but was revived, she said.

“We were pursuing a plasma donor, and he/we needed time,” Sara wrote on her Facebook page as she kept her friends up to date on his condition. “It was/is a risk we were willing to take for someone who under normal circumstances would not choose life support. However, these are not normal times. The coronavirus is not your typical virus. We have much to learn about it. Phil will help us learn. The ventilator would buy Phil time for us/the medical team to ‘try’ the plasma treatment which only recently was being touted as a possible treatment for coronavirus.”

On Saturday afternoon, April 18, he received the first of two plasma treatments.

The donation was from a total stranger, a coronavirus survivor, Sara Odom said.

“The way this donor got in touch with us is a ‘praise God’ story in itself,” she said.

She said her daughter made a Facebook request for donors and that started many others sharing her post.

“This stranger got in touch with Marla after receiving the post,” Odom said. “He gave his blood immediately, designated Phil as the plasma recipient in one of what we think is the earliest such direct to patient plasma donors in South Carolina.”

The plasma treatment wasn’t able to save Phil Odom’s life, but Sara hopes the doctors were able to learn from it.

On April 29, four days after her husband’s death, Odom wrote once again to her friends and prayer warriors — the rest of the story.

“One puzzle piece you were missing is that about a year ago my husband found out that he had pulmonary fibrosis, a terminal illness. Phil immediately began to put his affairs in order. The attic was cleaned out; drawers were emptied; old files were discarded. Throughout the year he continued to put affairs in order. In the fall his diagnosis was reaffirmed, and it was slowly progressing. He did not want to share this with anyone because he wanted to live as normal a life as possible as long as he could. This was how he was, and he really was physically doing seemingly well. When the virus hit our country, his pulmonologist told us that this diagnosis coupled with his other at-risk factors placed him squarely at the mercy of the coronavirus if he contracted the disease. The virus would be fatal for him. Well, he did contract it, and the rest has been recorded in our journey together.

”On Friday night before his passing on Saturday morning, a second plasma treatment was infused to see if Phil’s vital signs would reverse themselves. The plasma did reverse them for a brief period, but his organs were already in a shutdown phase. In the course of the evening, our son, Billy, who is a medical doctor, relayed to Phil’s medical team that it was the family’s desire that they continue to try every possible experimental technique on Phil in order to learn as much as possible about the Coronavirus until he passed. Doctors need to see and get firsthand knowledge on how each treatment impacts certain individual risk factors. Who knows how a miracle occurs? On Saturday morning, a week and a day after being placed on the ventilator, we received word that Phil was leaving this world. Within minutes he did just that.”

Odom said to receive the plasma they had to sign for Phil to be a part of a clinical trial. She said her husband signed the form himself.

”I think we were on the cutting edge of giving plasma,” Odom said. We felt like it would benefit other people. In his case we waited too long. I think he would like that the doctors said they have learned from his case.”

The family was joined by their church congregation in celebrating Phil’s life on a live stream funeral service on Facebook and YouTube as the interment was taking place in the Fort Jackson National Cemetery.

“It was a novel experience for us all, and the labor of love that our church ministry team provided to bring this to pass was incredible,” Odom wrote on Facebook. “To our family it was amazingly perfect in every Godly way. As individual families living in different places, we were not able to hug, or embrace in any way during this time. As our dear church staff and Pastor Carl were conducting this service from Hartsville, the family were listening in and watching the burial of our husband, father, and Pop in Columbia. The congregation were singing ‘Great is Thy Faithfulness’ and we were singing along as a family at the grave site. It was a moving experience for us.”

Odom said they were the last scheduled funeral of the day, and the director allowed 10 of them to socially distance themselves from each other, a requirement for even within family units, and they were able to stand closer to the site than they had thought would be allowed.

Odom said each of us is going through our own personal journeys of uncertainty at this time. Many have lost their jobs and don’t know how they are going to make ends meet. Many are struggling with terminal illnesses. Some are struggling with mental issues. Many are struggling with the isolation we find ourselves in.

Odom said so many people took the time to engage in their journey.

“We had so many friend requests from people we didn’t even know,” Odom said. “My daughter had over a 100 requests. Certainly, this has been an overwhelming response.”

Odom said her daughter said so many people are suffering and are looking for a miracle. They were hoping the Odoms would get their miracle.

“We want people to know in our minds and hearts a miracle did exist.”

While God’s plan did not include a recovery from the coronavirus for Phil Odom, Sara said, they did experience a miracle — at least three miracles.

She said through the power and grace of God, Phil was greeted “by our Lord and Savior.” He was spared the suffering and painful ordeal of the slow progression of pulmonary fibrosis over the next two or three years; and “doctors tell us that they learned valuable information about the coronavirus through their treatments on Phil which will help future patients.”

Odom said it has been difficult. She said from the day she loaded Phil in the car to go to the hospital, he knew. As they left the house, her husband said, “This is goodbye.”

She said Phil has been taking care of her since she was 19 years old and even after his death he continues to do so.

“I think as I am going through these days after his death, I am so appreciative that he had the forethought to plan for these days,” Odom said.

On his desk, she said, he had laid out folders, taking care of business, and labeling each one, telling her what to do first.

“I’ll be 77 on my birthday and my husband is still taking care of me,” Odom said.

Odom also took the test for COVID-19 at the same time as her husband, and she, too, tested positive.

“I am waiting until the 28th day (after her diagnosis) to volunteer to give blood plasma,” Odom said.

Odom said if you are a coronavirus survivor, donate. She said that “all over the state doctors are begging for plasma to use as an option for their critically ill coronavirus patients. The process takes time, but it may very well save a life. The medical teams are learning daily how to treat this virus. Fill the blood banks so they have a supply on hand when needed. Time is of the essence.”


Hannah R Williams‎ to USS Von Steuben (SSBN 632) Alumni

April 14 at 8:15 PM ·

Though I did not serve with you all this amazing man did he is my uncle lieutenant Thomas E. O'Connor Jr. & our family just recently lost him on April the 6th. So any of you all who remember him, please feel free to post any stories you might have. My family would greatly appreciate hearing them no matter how raunchy they may be.

Thomas E Connor

Joseph B. McCracken Ridgeville, SC - Joseph B. McCracken, 79, of Ridgeville, husband of the late Cary Jane, passed away on Monday, July 1, 2019. Born Clearfield, PA, March 31, 1940. Son of Earl and Blanche McCracken. Survived by sister Nancy Wilenzik of Doylestown, PA and Roger Winter, grandson of the late Jane McCracken. Preceded in death by one brother David of Mahaffey, PA. Also survived by numerous nephews and nieces. Graduated from Curwensville, PA high school, attended Penn State University; Served in U.S. Navy, Atomic Submarine Service; Retired from General Electric. Funeral services will be private. A memorial may be written to the family by visiting our website at ARRANGEMENTS BY JAMES A. DYAL FUNERAL HOME, 303 SOUTH MAIN STREET, SUMMERVILLE, SC 29483 (843)873-4040. Visit our guestbook at charleston

Michael Arthur Connor – Formerly of Hookstown

Michael Arthur Connor, formerly of Hookstown, Pennsylvania, passed away at his residence in Goose Creek, S.C., on July 6, 2017.

He was born in Sewickley, Pennsylvania, on July 24, 1954, to Arthur “Red” Connor and the late Regina Theil Sluka. Michael attended and graduated from South Side Schools in Hookstown, Pennsylvania. Upon graduation, he joined the United States Navy in 1973, where he served for 24 years. During his Naval Career, he served on several submarines including the Nathan Hale, James Monroe, James K Polk, Von Steuben, and the Newport News as well as a year of recruiting duty in Findlay, Ohio, and 4 years at MEPS in Lansing, Michigan. At the time of retirement in 1998, he was a Machinist Mate (Chief).

After his military service, he worked in Public Safety at the Citadel until his retirement in July 2016. He was always proud of how many tickets he issued as well as how many boots he put on. Michael enjoyed his model trains (various scales), his collection of Monopoly games from all over the world, and watching movies from his private library. He loved the quiet times at home with Janice and spending time with his children when they would come home for visits. A visit home for them was never complete without a visit to the Citadel.

His family meant the world to him. He truly loved his wife and deeply loved and was extremely proud of his children as he spoke about them regularly to those he knew.

Michael was preceded in death by his mother, Regina; his step-father, Frank Sluka, and all four grandparents.

He is survived by his wife, Janice of 9 years; his children, Stephanie and her husband Steven Greenwalt of Missouri, Stephen and his wife Mara Connor of Ohio, Sarah Connor of South Carolina, and Matthew Carrico of Pennsylvania; his grandchildren, Chuck and his wife Ana Wheeler of California, Sierra Wheeler and Kevin Wheeler of Ohio, DJ Wilbanks of South Carolina, and Hunter, Forest, and Wyatt Greenwalt of Missouri; his father, Arthur Connor; his brothers and sisters, Bob and his wife Deb Connor, Tom Connor, Betsy Connor, Donna and her husband Danny Halstead, Frank Sluka, Dawn Flinn, and Mikki and her husband Brad Gilson; several nieces and nephews; his former wife and lifelong friend, Linda Connor and her parents, Marlene and Randy Snoke and his close friend, Leonard Gibbs.

Family and friends are welcome to call at the MCCONNELL FUNERAL HOME, 447 Pine St., Hookstown, PA 15050, Friday from 2 to 4 and 6 to 8 p.m. where services will be held on Saturday at 11 a.m. with the Rev. Eric Edwards officiating.

He will be laid to rest with military honors in the Mill Creek Hill Cemetery.


My name is Donna Kranik and I am the daughter of Donald E. Oldham, Sr.  Dad was a plank owner and COB of the blue crew until 1968 (I’m pretty sure that was the year).

 Dad passed away this past Friday, Jan 4, 2018.  He was living in Longview, WA at the time.

Dad loved the navy and he absolutely loved this ship.

 Mom passed away five years ago, and their ashes will be interred at Willamette National Cemetery.


Robert Ruppel

Robert Ruppel Obituary

Robert L. Ruppel

Evansville, Ind.

Robert L. Ruppel, 75, of Evansville passed away at 4:23 p.m. Monday, December 5, 2016, at home surrounded by his loved ones.

Robert was born April 20, 1941, in Iona, Ind., the son of the late Christopher and Vera "Nadine" (Catt) Ruppel and was a 1959 graduate of Central Catholic High School in Vincennes, Ind. He proudly served in the
United States Navy for 11 years in active duty and nine years in the Naval Reserve. During his time in the Navy, Robert served aboard four different submarines. During the Cuban Missile Crisis, he served on the U.S.S. Red Fin which participated in the Cuban Blockade. Robert retired from Alcoa in 2009, after 38 years of service. He attended Nativity Catholic Church. When his children were younger, Robert coached Evansville South Youth League Baseball.

He is survived by his beloved wife of 54 years, Judith (Bauer) Ruppel, of Evansville; sons, Brad Ruppel (Cathy), of Newburgh, Ind., Brian Ruppel, of Los Angeles, Calif., and Brent Ruppel (Tara), of Evansville; sisters, Judith Cooper and Barbara Deal (Robert), both of Vincennes, Ind.; grandchildren, Leda and Drake Ruppel, Madison Castle, Vaughn and Pierce Ruppel; and nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents; and brother, Michael Ruppel.

Mass of a Christian Burial will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, December 10, 2016, at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, 1303 S. Green River Rd., Evansville, with Father Bernie Etienne officiating. Burial will be in Park Lawn Cemetery where the Vanderburgh County Retired Veterans Memorial Club will render full military rites.

Friends may visit from 2 until 8 p.m. Friday, December 9, 2016, at Boone Funeral Home East Chapel-A Family Tradition Funeral Home, 5330 Washington Ave., Evansville where a prayer service will be held at 6:30 p.m.

Memorial Contributions may be made to
Alzheimer's Association , 701 N Weinbach Ave #510, Evansville, IN 47711.

Condolences may be made to the family online at

Published in Courier Press on Dec. 7, 2016              

Larry "Yogi" Yeager    RM  '67-'73 B has died. No other information at this time.

Eduardo "Eddie" Fernandez Villanueva, 78, of Ladson, passed away, Thursday, July 14, 2016, surrounded by his family and friends.

Eddie was born December 21, 1937, to the late Leon and Dorotea Villanueva in San Manuel, Pangasinan, Philippines. He attended the Philippines College of Business before joining the United States Navy. Eddie served his country in the Navy for twenty four years, before retiring as a Chief Interior Communications Electrician. He graduated from Nielson College with an associate’s degree in Electronic Technology. He worked for the Veteran Affairs in Charleston as a Computer Hardware Specialist for fifteen years, before retiring for a final time to pursue traveling and spending time with family and friends. He was active in and proud of his Filipino community, and he was a member of the Pangasinan Association and the Filipino Community Center.

Eddie is survived by his wife of 47 years, Tessie; daughter, Dorothy Joyce Lewis and her husband James of Columbia, SC; son, Mark and his wife Dawn of Jacksonville FL; siblings, Hilda Moraño of Flushing, NY and Benjamin Villanueva of the Philippines; grandchildren, Eddie and Trey Lewis; and many loving nieces and nephews.

The family will receive friends on Wednesday, July 20, 2016 from 6:00 p.m.


A prayer service will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Mass of Christian Burial will be held, Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 10:00 a.m.

at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Goose Creek. Burial will follow at Plantation Memorial Gardens, Moncks Corner, SC.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Immaculate Conception Catholic Church.

510 St James Ave, Goose Creek, SC 29445


Metzel, RADM Jeffrey Caswell Jr. Ret.

2/11/1925 - 4/17/2016

Jeffrey C. Metzel Jr. passed away peacefully from heart failure in his sleep, in Huntington Beach, CA, April 17, 2016. Jeff was 90 years old. Jeff ("Mike" to close family) was a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, as was his father and grandfather. Jeff's class was very accomplished, with fellow graduates President Jimmy Carter, CIA head Stansfield Turner, Joint Services Chief William Crowe, ADM James Stockdale, Capt. Thomas Hudner, and many others that uphold the great tradition of the Naval Academy. Jeff became a Submariner and was picked for ADM Rickover's Nuclear Power program. He was very proud of being part of this new technology and the people associated with it. Jeff served aboard several Nuclear Submarines. But, his favorite assignment was as Commander of the Nautilus, the first Nuclear Submarine and the first practical use of Nuclear Power. After helping to develop the Mark-48 Torpedo and serving as a project manager on the Trident Submarine program, Jeff retired from the Navy as a Rear Admiral, in 1979. Jeff married Jean Roberta Balcome in Las Vegas, in 1952, he said it was the best gamble of his life! They were together 62 years until, Jean passed away in 2014. They had four children, Bill, Bob, Nancy and Mimi. Jeff and Jean had seven grandchildren and so far, four great grandchildren! Jeff is survived by his three younger siblings, brother Bill Metzel, and sisters Martha (Patty) Mohler and Mary Popper. He had a long and wonderful life and felt very lucky for all his experiences. He was deeply loved by all and will be sorely missed. A Memorial Service will be held May 7, 2016 at 10:00 AM, at The WWII Submarine Memorial located at 800 Seal Beach Blvd. in Seal Beach. Instead of flowers, Jeff would appreciate a donation to the Navy - Marine Corp Relief Society.

Published in Orange County Register on Apr. 21, 2016 - See more at: 

I received word via that CDR Robert J. Lauderdale, the Decommissioning XO died on Jan. 23, 2016.

I received word from John Fairey that Jim Bergmann died on January 20, 2016 as the result of severe lung disease.

I received word that Ludovico Alahambra, a MS, passed away on May 11, 2015.

Donald William “Mac” McClure, Jr.
Greenville, SC

Mr. Donald William “Mac” McClure, Jr., 68, of Greenville, loving husband of Mary Sue Preston McClure, passed away suddenly on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at Spartanburg Regional Medical Center.

Mac was born in Ottumwa, Iowa on October 10, 1946 to the late Donald William, Sr. and Alverta Halosis Andrews McClure. He received his Bachelor’s degree from Charleston Southern University. Mac had many hobbies, which included camping, gardening, working on computers and traveling. He also enjoyed square dancing, and along with his wife, were the chairmen of the South Carolina Square and Round Dance Federation. They were also twice president of the Piedmont Square Dance Association, and were current members of the Thunderbird Square Dance Club. In 2002, they were awarded the Distinguished Service award by the State Federation. Mac was a member of St. Michael’s Episcopal Church in Easley, where he was a member of the Men’s Club. Additionally, he was a member and past Master of the Dunean Masonic Lodge #359, and a past member and past Master of the Truman Durham Masonic Lodge #424. He was currently the President of the Past Master’s Club, and was also a member of the Hejaz Shrine Temple in Greenville. He was a U.S. Navy Veteran, serving 26 years on the Nuclear Submarine Force as a Senior Chief Electronics Technician until his retirement. He was awarded the Navy Achievement Medal twice and the Navy Commendation Medal. After his retirement, Mac worked for the Michelin Corporation for 17 years as an electromechanical technician at US-1.

In addition to his loving wife of 47 years, Mac is survived by two sons; Michael Patrick McClure (Rebecca), of Charleston, SC, and Scott Edward McClure (Tiffany), of Pensacola, Florida; two brothers; David Paul McClure of Luray, Virginia, and David Scott McClure of Fresno, Texas; and a sister; Pamela Diane McClure Batley, of Reisel, Texas. He is also survived by many nieces, nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews.

Funeral Services will be held at 1 O’Clock in the afternoon on Friday, October 9, 2015 at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 1200 Powdersville Road, Easley, SC 29642, conducted by Father Lee Dudley. Interment will follow at Robinson Memorial Gardens.

The family will receive friends on Thursday, October 8, 2015 from 6 O’Clock until 8 O’Clock in the evening at Robinson Funeral Home – Powdersville Road, 1425 Powdersville Road, Easley, SC 29642.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial donations be made to the Shriner’s Hospital for Children; 950 West Faris Road, Greenville, 29605.

Condolences may be expressed online at or in person at Robinson Funeral Home – Powdersville Road, which is assisting the family.


Ralph "Dutch" Wieland SUMMERVILLE - Mr. Ralph "Dutch" Wieland of Summerville, SC, passed away on Monday, March 23, 2015 at the age of 81. Dutch was born on March 6, 1934 in Mt. Vernon, NY to Ralph and Dorothy Wieland. He entered the US Navy in 1950. He spent most of his 32 year career on Submarines. Dutch was in Food Management with a passion for the culinary arts. His Food Management Team was instrumental in getting the Johnson & Wales College in Charleston, SC. Dutch continued to teach Food Management for 12 years after his retirement. Dutch retired from the US Navy in 1983 as Command Master Chief. Dutch is survived by his wife, Betty Jean Wieland; daughters, Mickey Januszkiewicz, Lynnette Bible and Christine Wieland; stepdaughter, Wanda Turner and stepson, Dale Turner; 10 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his son, Skipper Wieland and stepdaughter, Vickie Bryant. A memorial service is scheduled for 4:00 p.m. on March 28, 2015 at the Metro North Church, 109 Central Avenue, Goose Creek, SC. In lieu of flowers, donations may be offered to the Alzheimer's Association . Visit our guestbook at charleston

Received from Wendell Koerner

     Bill Drummond passed away on May 28, 2013, in Jacksonville, FL.  He was a plank owner and Blue Crew engineering officer.  He was survived by a daughter, Sara (Mrs. Ben Vaughn, 308 Halifax Dr., Greenville, SC 29615, and a son William King Drummond, Jr.).

    Funeral arrangements were handled by Hardage-Giddens Chapel Hills Funeral Home, 850 St. Johns Bluff Rd. N., Jacksonville, FL 32225.  Telephone number 904-641-9755.

Received from Linda Smearden:

This is to inform you that my husband Robert J. Smearden who was on the USS Von Steuben SSBN 632 when it was commission has passed away on June 3, 2014.  He fought a cancer called Multiple Myeloma for 2 1/2 years.  He was so proud to be part of all of you serving on the Von Steuben.  I will miss him so much and I know you will too. 

Hugs to you all,

Lina Smearden (wife of 49 years)


Received from George Scharf:

Allen Shane Foraker    2/17/2014

Lester Franks    3/10/2014

Received the following from John Fairey:

Richard Allen Wilcott

Rate:       CS

Death_Date: 03/29/2002

Comments:   Best cook and baker on the commissioning crew (gold) - Left a wife Barbara and 2 daughters Lynn and Andria - Now residing in Beaverdale Memorial Park in New Haven, Connecticut.  Was best man at my wedding. - Just recently went searching for him and found he has passed.


Romeo Oscar Collazo    TM 1963 - ? BLUE December 18, 2014 San Antonio, TX


James Edward Bender, beloved husband, father, and grandfather, who sailed on his Eternal Patrol Monday, 5 January 2015, from his home in Raleigh. He was 80 years old and was executive officer on the submarine USS ATULE (SS-403) with SubVet John Rupertus of Concord. He also served aboard the submarines USS SEA CAT (SS-399), USS NATHAN HALE (SSBN-623), and USS TRUMPETFISH (SS-425).

 A native of Meadville, PA, Jim graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1957.   He served honorably in the U.S. Navy for 26 years as a submariner and then at the Pentagon.  He retired as a Captain in 1983 and then began a second career in the defense industry with General Dynamics and then Hughes Missile Systems. He retired in 1997.

 Jim is survived by his loving wife of 52 years, Deanne Page Ecton, formerly of Key West, FL; sons David, Stephen, and Christopher; three daughters in law; and five grandchildren.

 A memorial service and funeral will be held at Arlington National Cemetery on a date to be determined.  Locally, his family is being served by Brown-Wynne Funeral Home of Raleigh.